In this Journal, I will attempt to strip away my protective veneer to view and communicate honestly what the truth is as I perceive it. My intent is to grow, for without an honest evaluation of the truth, how else can one fully absorb life's more difficult lessons and benefit by them. If I do this in secret, then I am still hiding behind a protective veneer, so it is being published online. If you find this Journal, you are welcome to read it and hopefully grow from it as well.



Friday, April 25, 2014

Nancy Lee Weston's Funeral Service, 4/24/14

Nancy was a dynamic force. Married to Daniel David Weston from 1948 - 1960, she never married again and raised their three daughters largely on her own.

In her 40's, Nancy went back to college and earned her Master's Degree in Psychology in 1973. 11 years later nearing her 55th birthday, she received her Doctorate.

At UCLA Nancy was the Director of the Divorcing Family Clinic in the Center for Legal Psychiatry and as a top psychotherapist she built a successful private practice in couples and family therapy.

As well as being a devoted mother and grandmother, Nancy championed women's rights, social justice, environmental issues, the arts and was a lover of classical music. She also exercised regularly and enjoyed an active life with family and friends.

However at the age of 84 on April 21st, 2014 her voice and her energy were stilled, as she passed away.

But here is the interesting thing for purposes of this journal. I never knew or knew of Nancy until I read her Los Angeles Times obit. And then something unexplainable happened.

I felt compelled to attend her service at Hillside Memorial Park in Culver City, about 16 miles from my home.

There I quietly took a seat in the back of the room and heard her family and friends discuss her as they brought her back to life in the hearts of all who listened.

In one example, a women well into her 80's and dependent on her cane, slowly stepped to the podium and recreated what life for her and Nancy was like in the 1950's as they were neighbors who became close friends, while each raising their children.

For me, her talk was a nostalgic ride down memory lane as I could picture those times from my own childhood.

After about an hour, with the service still in progress, I got up and quietly left, never having spoken to the family or leaving a trace of my having been there.

When I arrived home, my wife Anne was livid stating she didn't understand why I would attend this woman's service, especially given my low back issues.

I told Anne I don't know why I attended except I felt compelled to pay my respects.

I honored that voice within me that guided me to attend and I'm glad I did, as through Nancy's family and friends I got to know a very interesting person, whose life has now touched my heart and who in prayer I wish well.

Dick
To learn more about Nancy http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/latimes/obituary.aspx?pid=170758874

No comments: