In this Journal, I will attempt to strip away my protective veneer to view and communicate honestly what the truth is as I perceive it. My intent is to grow, for without an honest evaluation of the truth, how else can one fully absorb life's more difficult lessons and benefit by them. If I do this in secret, then I am still hiding behind a protective veneer, so it is being published online. If you find this Journal, you are welcome to read it and hopefully grow from it as well.



Friday, December 19, 2014

Ikaika Turned Two Years Old, 12/18/14

Last night his parents Kyle and Diane and his 14 year old brother Keoni hosted a wonderful birthday for Anne's and my grandson Ikaika.

In all there were probably 25 to 30 people there and seemingly everyone enjoyed themselves.

When I arrived, Diane and Ikaika greeted me at the door, and at Diane's request, Ikaika walked me into the home. He did this by grabbing my right index finger in his left hand and taking me into the kitchen, about 10 yards away.

Ikaika loves basketball and a child's basketball backboard and hoop was set up for him, so he could play basketball alone and with Keoni and Keoni's friend Reilly, also 14 years old.

Ikaika also played basketball with others, most notably another of our grandsons, 9 year old Cameron who played gently with him.

As buddies, Keoni and Reilly hung out together and at times Ikaika joined them as he thinks of himself as one of the guys, despite being two years of age and a fraction of their size.

During the party, a big beautiful white frosted birthday cake with red and other colorful detailing was presented, and our close family friend Jamie Rosenwald led the singing of "Happy Birthday."

Ikaika then blew out his candles as everyone cheered and he flashed a million dollar smile.

These family and friend celebrations are very special to me.

Not only are they joyous, a celebration of life, but in my mind's eye, I observe each person as they are in this instant in time.

They are loving and happy, inquisitive and vulnerable, and each person is in his or her particular cycle in life.

Their facial expressions and body language say as much or more as their words can ever express.

Whether it was Anne's and my granddaughter 6 year old Carina excited for having lost her first baby tooth earlier in the day, or Anne's 92 year old mother Mary, despite her limited vision and reduced hearing being an integral part of the party, it was a special occasion for others as well as Ikaika.

Time passes ever so quickly, and before we know it, the children grow-up and others leave us as they complete their cycle in life.

But last night, in that brief instance in time, we all came together to celebrate a little boy turning two years of age.

Dick

No comments: