In this Journal, I will attempt to strip away my protective veneer to view and communicate honestly what the truth is as I perceive it. My intent is to grow, for without an honest evaluation of the truth, how else can one fully absorb life's more difficult lessons and benefit by them. If I do this in secret, then I am still hiding behind a protective veneer, so it is being published online. If you find this Journal, you are welcome to read it and hopefully grow from it as well.



Sunday, November 15, 2015

An Eye Opener

Two days ago as I finished my grocery shopping at Whole Foods they assigned a young lady in her early 20's to load my groceries into my car.

As I stood at the check stand she said, "Am I going to push the cart or do you need it to walk?" Being in excellent health, I was stunned and replied, "I'm fine."

She said, "Well my grandmother needs to use the cart to walk."

While I have no idea the age of her grandmother or the status of her health, I realized I looked very old to this young lady and she equated me to her grandmother.

Given her youth and given I am 70, and have a head full of gray hair and facial lines, I understood.

I explained to her that 16 years ago, as a heavy weight lifter, I had gotten a slipped disc and no longer lift much weight. I'm pleased to have others lift my groceries into the car.

She seemed friendly, and not wanting to hurt her feelings, I was careful to handle this discussion with grace and a smile, even praising how well she loaded the groceries into the car.

I also introduced myself by first name and she happily introduced herself as well. She walked back into the store with a big smile, unaware she may have said something hurtful.

But I realized that at least in her eyes, I am ancient, which is not how I see myself.

Perhaps at her age, I might have had the same impression of someone the age I am now, but I doubt that I would have said to that person what she did to me.

However, I made plenty of mistakes then, and do now, and have no basis to be critical of anyone.

I'm thankful to be in excellent health, and for having had so many opportunities for personal growth over the years.

And I realize that her impression is simply that and nothing more.

With a big smile, I wish her excellent health, many opportunisties for growth, and every happiness life can bring.

Dick

No comments: