In this Journal, I will attempt to strip away my protective veneer to view and communicate honestly what the truth is as I perceive it. My intent is to grow, for without an honest evaluation of the truth, how else can one fully absorb life's more difficult lessons and benefit by them. If I do this in secret, then I am still hiding behind a protective veneer, so it is being published online. If you find this Journal, you are welcome to read it and hopefully grow from it as well.



Monday, May 9, 2016

"Happy Mother's Day Grandpa"

"Happy Mother's Day Grandpa," said Anne's and my 3 year old grandson Ikaika to me as we celebrated Mother's Day at our son Clayton's and daughter in law Maria's home.

Ikaika had just wished Anne and her mother Mary a Happy Mother's Day, and when he got to me, at 3 he didn't see any difference. I thanked him.

We were joined by Ikaika's big brother Keoni, age 15 and their parents, Kyle and Diane, along with our grandchildren Cameron, age 11 and Carina, age 8.

Cameron's and Carina's little dog Scrappy also participated.

Keoni is learning to drive and on Saturday attended a 12 hour driving school, as he builds his confidence behind the wheel.

For the Mother's Day meal Clayton prepared a brisket, spaghetti and meat sauce, salad, and for me a vegetarian meal.

Dessert was apple pie and two chocolate cakes, one chocolate cake purchased by Maria and one purchased by Diane.

Both cakes looked wonderful and I was pleased to have some of each, with compliments to both ladies.

What really mattered was the thoughtfulness of Clayton and Maria in hosting Mother's Day and getting together with everyone in a celebration of life, for that is how I view these events.

Dick

Going into Mother's Day, Anne and I had Cameron and Carina overnight at our home. They ere a joy, particularly when Carina went with me to Mayer's Bakery to select fresh donuts and apple fritters for her and Cameron.

The night before, we did what the kids like, including Chicago for Ribs dinner and watching "The Simpsons."

Cameron had just won another karate belt that day (beige with a green stripe)  and seems on his way to a black belt, although I'm told it won't be awarded to him until he is 15.

No comments: