In this Journal, I will attempt to strip away my protective veneer to view and communicate honestly what the truth is as I perceive it. My intent is to grow, for without an honest evaluation of the truth, how else can one fully absorb life's more difficult lessons and benefit by them. If I do this in secret, then I am still hiding behind a protective veneer, so it is being published online. If you find this Journal, you are welcome to read it and hopefully grow from it as well.



Friday, April 4, 2014

4/1/14, Spending Time With Cameron Age 8 1/2

One of the joys Anne and I have as grandparents is spoiling our grandchildren, by often catering to their every whim.

We picked up our grandson Cameron after school and took him to his karate class. But because we arrived 25 minutes early to his karate class, we had time to enjoy his company.

We fed him a Hershey Bar and I took him into a mom and pop grocery store, where he selected an orange soda and a bag of Skittles as a snack. This is not an ideal meal, but at age 8 1/2 it looked pretty good to him.

I then took him into his karate class, where he changed clothes and showed me his blue and green karate belt, whose honor he had worked hard to attain.

When the class started, he joined 15 to 20 other children, and I took a seat just outside of the class. As the instructor put them through their paces, Cameron regularly checked to be sure I was still there, which pleased me to see how much it really mattered to him.

But after about 20 minutes, Cameron and another boy playfully practiced together and I knew it was time for me to go.

I smiled and whispered my goodbye to Cameron as he warmly acknowledged my leaving.

It is these seemingly little elements, such as joyfully spending time with a grandchild that turn out to be not so little, as they bring great happiness into my life.

There are many other grandparents that know exactly how this feels, and are thankful for such opportunities.

Dick

No comments: