In this Journal, I will attempt to strip away my protective veneer to view and communicate honestly what the truth is as I perceive it. My intent is to grow, for without an honest evaluation of the truth, how else can one fully absorb life's more difficult lessons and benefit by them. If I do this in secret, then I am still hiding behind a protective veneer, so it is being published online. If you find this Journal, you are welcome to read it and hopefully grow from it as well.



Sunday, July 27, 2014

A Mistake I Deeply Regret

In 1977 when I was 32 years of age, I joined a woman in Las Vegas for a weekend.

We had known each other by telephone and had a fine professional relationship but when we met we were not attracted to each other and we did not have sex.

None the less I had attempted to deceive Anne who easily discovered my deception and understandably exploded in anger.

It damaged our relationship, one that included three little boys ages: 10, 7 and 2 1/2 and I realized how foolish a man I was. Anne and our sons deserved far better.

I've lived with this heartache for 37 years and it will remain with me for the rest of my life.

The solace I've received is that which came to me in prayer in this past year in weighing the many foolish mistakes of a wide variety that I have made.

The words were, "It had to be to grow beyond it." And Thank God grow beyond it in each case I have done.

But in this case, at age 69, if I could advise my 32 year old self I would say, "Young man, you are being driven by your ego to do something incredibly foolish. Instead, take a deep breath and consider the blessing that is the loved ones in your life and the consequences of your actions. I promise you, you will outgrow such foolishness, but let this be a mistake you do not make for it will haunt you for the rest of your life. Instead, go home and tell your family how much you love them. You will be thankful you did."

Dick

No comments: