In this Journal, I will attempt to strip away my protective veneer to view and communicate honestly what the truth is as I perceive it. My intent is to grow, for without an honest evaluation of the truth, how else can one fully absorb life's more difficult lessons and benefit by them. If I do this in secret, then I am still hiding behind a protective veneer, so it is being published online. If you find this Journal, you are welcome to read it and hopefully grow from it as well.



Saturday, July 26, 2014

Anne's Choice

As I awoke at 6 am this morning, it was from a troubling dream but one with valuable lessons.

I dreamt that my wife Anne and I had gone away for a weekend together when some people approached us on behalf of a man in his 40's.

As he smiled and stood in front of us with his two children, a boy and a girl, those people who approached us and he proposed that Anne spend the weekend with him and his children. He said otherwise he would be alone.

I could see he was attracted to Anne.

I asked where his wife was and he was vague in his answer but he made it clear she was not there.

Anne was enthusiastic and wanted to join him, a response I found hurtful. But I knew this was her life and her choice to make so I agreed, even though as I pointed out, now I would be alone.

The dream ended as she was about to leave with him. I was hurt, bewildered and a little bit jealous.

In pondering this dream, I think it reflected my recognition that I don't control the choices anyone else makes, however close to me they may be. I only control my own choices.

And I thought how hurtful it would be to Anne if I left to be with someone else as I could feel how hurtful it was in this dream to me if she were to make a choice to be with someone else.

I must love without a sense of possession and act with greater sensitivity to Anne's feelings.

Dick

No comments: