In this Journal, I will attempt to strip away my protective veneer to view and communicate honestly what the truth is as I perceive it. My intent is to grow, for without an honest evaluation of the truth, how else can one fully absorb life's more difficult lessons and benefit by them. If I do this in secret, then I am still hiding behind a protective veneer, so it is being published online. If you find this Journal, you are welcome to read it and hopefully grow from it as well.



Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Bro-Dog And Gannon

Today I had the joyof being with Melody, one of my daughters in law, and watching Anne's and my grandsons Brody, age 9 ("Bro-Dog") and Gannon, age 6 swim at the Akai Swim School.

It was a warm sunny day, and after the boys had their swimming lesson, they practiced their favorite dives, most of which were cannonballs. But it was their laughter and their cheerful little voices that really touched my heart.

My heart was also touched by all the mothers and their tiny children, many of whom were toddlers who were being gently introduced to the water and to swimming.

When Brody and Gannon were ready to go, with Melody's permission, I gave each boy $I.50 in quarters so they could buy snacks. Each chose a bag of chips and a bag of cookies and happily tore open the bags and began to eat their munchies.

They will be taking their swim classes next week as well and then they will be going back to school, Brody in the 4th grade, Gannon in the 1st grade.

I treasure this time, especially because I know the boys will be little for just a short time and I want to savor that time.

But in this case, on September 4th, when the boys go back to school, the Akai Swim School is scheduled to close, the land purchased by a developer.

Akai has been there since 1957 and in its 57 years, has catered to multi-generations of swim students and has also provided employment to many young people.

When it's gone it will be irreplaceable.

As a real estate investor, I know that property is considered far too valuable today to be a swim school.

But like many people in this area, I will miss the Akai Swim School and all the happiness it provided to children and their families, much as we and other families had that happiness today.

Dick
The nickname "Bro-Dog" came from one of Kevin's friends.

No comments: