In this Journal, I will attempt to strip away my protective veneer to view and communicate honestly what the truth is as I perceive it. My intent is to grow, for without an honest evaluation of the truth, how else can one fully absorb life's more difficult lessons and benefit by them. If I do this in secret, then I am still hiding behind a protective veneer, so it is being published online. If you find this Journal, you are welcome to read it and hopefully grow from it as well.



Tuesday, September 2, 2014

A Dream: A Helping Hand To James Garner

In the early hours of yesterday morning, I dreamed that actor James Garner "Jim" and I were sitting down together in Redondo Beach to see if I could help him find greater peace within himself.

Our intent was to help him overcome the stress and physical injuries that caused him to end production of The Rockford Files (1974 - 1980), a highly successful television series that in reruns continues to run today, available all over the world.

But late in 1979, Jim ended the series, which subsequently led to litigation. Not only was he stressed out, but among his physical problems was a bleeding ulcer.

In this Redondo Beach meeting, he looked as he did in 1979, probably because our intent was to see if he could continue The Rockford Files, and also intermittently as he did in later years. I was the person I am today.

But each time we tried to talk, he was besieged by autograph hunters and we had to keep changing our meeting location, as those autograph hunters followed him.

There were those who offered to help us get time to talk, some with questionable intent, apparently to take advantage of the situation or his stardom. In any case they too were unsuccessful.

We never did get to have our conversation beyond the superficial and for that I am sorry.

On screen he had a wonderful sense of humor and charm, surely a fundamental part of his personality. But I suspect off screen he could also be grumpy and be demanding of himself and others.

I hope this man who came from such a troubled Oklahoma childhood, who fought and was wounded in the Korean War and who rose to Hollywood Superstardom can overcome his demons which pursued him throughout his life. May he finally find peace, and happiness within himself.

His devoted wife of 58 years, Lois and their two daughters would surely appreciate that and undoubtedly he would as well.

Dick

In 1994, Jim and Universal Studios reunited and over the next few years made eight Rockford Files television movies.

No comments: