In this Journal, I will attempt to strip away my protective veneer to view and communicate honestly what the truth is as I perceive it. My intent is to grow, for without an honest evaluation of the truth, how else can one fully absorb life's more difficult lessons and benefit by them. If I do this in secret, then I am still hiding behind a protective veneer, so it is being published online. If you find this Journal, you are welcome to read it and hopefully grow from it as well.



Saturday, October 4, 2014

The Kojanski Family, 10/4/14

Today, I had a long talk with my 95 year old cousin, Irving Kazan, the son of my Uncle Jake and Aunt Zena. Irv was born in Ukraine in September, 1919.

Irv explained that Kojanski (pronounced "Koh - Jon - Skee") was our family name in Ukraine, before coming to the United States. He said it possibly ended in "y" instead of "i."

Apparently the family took the name "Kazan" upon coming to the U.S. with the exception of Dave (Aunt Zena's half brother), who took the name "Kojan." His daughter Selma, a horticulturist based in Connecticut, did some work in compiling a family tree.

Irv said after Aunt Zena's parents divorced, they "dumped her" to her grandfather, a Rabbi while between them, her parents had 13 more children, Aunt Zena's half brothers and sisters.

She was never close to this Rabbi and as a result, she was still Jewish but not a practicing Jew.

Irv said Aunt Zena put herself through college (I believe the University of Kiev) and became a Midwife.

He added that she deeply resented this Rabbi claiming that he paid for her education when in fact it was she who paid for her own education.

Irv said that Aunt Zena "adored" Anne's and my youngest son Clayton. (Clayton was just 9 years old when Aunt Zena passed away).

Irv added that when Aunt Zena passed away in 1984 (at the age of 98), he and Martha held a gathering for family and friends in their home. (I fondly remember that gathering which took on a celebration of her life as family and friends shared many a story of this extraordinary lady).

Irv said his older brother Marvin had at first thought such a gathering would be foolish as it would not be something their mother would have appreciated. But when he saw the response, Marvin changed his mind and apologized to Irv realizing their mother would have loved it.

My experience over many years with Aunt Zena (known as "Zelda" in Ukraine) was that she was a very social, outgoing person who quickly lit up any gathering she attended. I was thankful Irv and Martha hosted that celebration of life for her.

Had she been there, she would have been the life of the party, with kisses and hugs and a booming voice with a Russian accent sharing stories and asking others about themselves.

Dick

No comments: