In this Journal, I will attempt to strip away my protective veneer to view and communicate honestly what the truth is as I perceive it. My intent is to grow, for without an honest evaluation of the truth, how else can one fully absorb life's more difficult lessons and benefit by them. If I do this in secret, then I am still hiding behind a protective veneer, so it is being published online. If you find this Journal, you are welcome to read it and hopefully grow from it as well.



Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Our Vancouver Trip, 8/23/15 - 8/27/15

Nearly every summer since 1995, Anne and I have gone to Vancouver for a few days and we always stay at The Westin Bayshore, in an "89" room.

An "89" room is in the tower and has a spectacular view of the Harbor, Stanley Park, Downtown and of many of the coastal activities in this magnificent city.

This includes the sea planes taking off and landing, cruise ships and smaller boats coming and going and of the many rowers applying themselves. In all, it is quite a show.

It also overlooks North and West Vancouver and a bit of the Lion's Gate Bridge connecting Vancouver with those two cities.

At night, Anne and I order dinner from room service, and set the dinner cart next to the glass sliding door so we can watch the "89" room show.

Since 1997, Rossette Escalambre, the executive assistant to each general manager, has taken excellent care of us, including selecting the "89" room for us, having the chef prepare the vegetarian meals I so enjoy, and many other kind courtesies.

She is a gem!

On this trip, Anne and I got together with my sister Lisa, who was there with many others to see rock star Jon Bon Jovi, who held most of his activities from The Wesin Bayshore.

Anne and I were also joined for a morning by our friend Mary Ellen, who like me is a writer and she is a very good one, for she writes from her heart. While I communicate each day by email with Mary Ellen, we had not gotten together since 2011, also in Vancouver.

In addition, we also had the pleasure of spending time with Te, a remarkable lady who has worked as a maid at The Westin Bayshore since 1981.

Several years ago on Sane Ramblings, I shared her amazing story of her and her family's harrowing escape from Vietnam as boat people and her Canadian resettlement. We always enjoy Te's company.

Each visit, we also have a breakfast with Rossette, courtesy of the hotel, and we catchup on each other's activities, Facebook communication aside.

One of my other favorite activities is mingling with the Canadians and the tourists, as I meet such interesting people.

One of them was a stunning looking 90 ish woman who dressed in matching red clothing in what today is called "dressy casual." She was "the lady in red" with hair and makeup in perfect order as she walked along the Seawall.

She is what Anne termed "an old fashioned classy lady" and when we finished speaking, with her permission, I gave her a hug.

This is a taste of our Vancouver trip, and as we do each year, we had a wonderful time.

Dick

No comments: