In this Journal, I will attempt to strip away my protective veneer to view and communicate honestly what the truth is as I perceive it. My intent is to grow, for without an honest evaluation of the truth, how else can one fully absorb life's more difficult lessons and benefit by them. If I do this in secret, then I am still hiding behind a protective veneer, so it is being published online. If you find this Journal, you are welcome to read it and hopefully grow from it as well.



Wednesday, February 17, 2016

A Good Deed, Poorly Done

I believe one person can uplift the world with good deeds.

However, recently at a busy grocery store with checkout registers backed up 3 or 4 people deep, most with carts full of groceries, I let a woman with just a few items ahead of us.

Anne and I had stood in line for awhile and were just a customer back from the checkout register.

Anne got upset with me and said I didn't care about her feelings.

It seemed Anne would not have let this woman in front of us, but as we spoke, it became apparent Anne just wanted to be asked, before I let that woman ahead of us.

I apologized to Anne.

In hindsight, I also should have spoken to the people with carts in back of us, for they too had no voice in my decision.

The woman left the store happy, Anne calmed down and no other customers complained.

It was a good deed, poorly done but a valuable lesson to me for I will be wiser and more sensitive to others the next time this type of good deed opportunity presents itself.

Dick

No comments: