In this Journal, I will attempt to strip away my protective veneer to view and communicate honestly what the truth is as I perceive it. My intent is to grow, for without an honest evaluation of the truth, how else can one fully absorb life's more difficult lessons and benefit by them. If I do this in secret, then I am still hiding behind a protective veneer, so it is being published online. If you find this Journal, you are welcome to read it and hopefully grow from it as well.



Sunday, July 3, 2016

I'm Younger Than I Look

Anne and I were at the Vancouver Airport security checkpoint with many other people, as they placed their carry-ons and shoes to be X-rayed.

In the crowd, the security official shouted to me, "people 75 and over don't have to take off their shoes."

Hearing this, Anne yelled to him, "That's insulting!"

"I'm 71," I said, as the crowd suddenly fell silent, nervous with how I might respond to what they saw as an insult to me. The security official looked embarrassed.

But I quickly made some cute comment and everyone laughed as the tense moment passed.

Later, on board the flight, a woman about to turn 80 asked how old I am. "71," I answered. "Oh, I thought you were in your late 70's," she replied.

Again, I took it with grace.

Even now in writing this, I chuckled aloud, for I know I look as I look and anyone can guess my age as they choose.

Health, not ego is the important thing, even if my gray hair and lined face misled at least these two people, and perhaps could mislead some others, to think I'm older than I am.

If you let your hair go gray, people will always think you are older than you are, but in your heart, you are the age you believe you are, and it's your opinion that counts.

Dick

No comments: