In this Journal, I will attempt to strip away my protective veneer to view and communicate honestly what the truth is as I perceive it. My intent is to grow, for without an honest evaluation of the truth, how else can one fully absorb life's more difficult lessons and benefit by them. If I do this in secret, then I am still hiding behind a protective veneer, so it is being published online. If you find this Journal, you are welcome to read it and hopefully grow from it as well.



Monday, June 27, 2016

Chani

Chani (rhymes with Johnny) is an Asian, middle-aged homeless man I met in Vancouver on Sunday, 6/26/16, as I walked along the harbor front Seawall.

He was sitting on a bench under the shade of a tree, yet holding an open umbrella over himself on a warm, sunny day.

He had his possessions in carts attached to a bike, most of which including the bike, were covered in black tarp material.

He looked like an interesting man and I introduced myself to him and he to me as we began a conversation.

He wanted very much to advise me how to protect my memory and body as I aged, sharing information he said took him 20 years to gain. Here is what he told me:

1) Keep my body cool. He believes heat and perspiration reduce the body's ability to care for itself, and that I should strive to remain cool, but not quite cold, nor chilled.

2) Meditate. He felt this was the most important thing I could do for my memory and body.

He said the best way to do this is to lay on my back, head slightly elevated, with my feet extending a few inches beyond the end of the place I lay. He strongly urged me to meditate each day, which is something I already do.

He is so passionate about this, he demonstrated the technique on the park bench, and kept returning to it.

3) Light a candle during meditation. He feels the aura of the candle is excellent energy.

During our discussion I gave him some money, but he seemed indifferent to the money, as he advised me.

Finally, I ended the conversation, explaining that my back was tiring.

I asked him how he wound up living on the street, and he smiled and said it was a long story we could discuss the next time we meet.

Then he got up, shook my hand firmly, and began walking his bike and the attached carts slowly into the distance, as I too walked away, pleased with having listened to him.

Dick

Many people judge a book by its cover and would never listen to a homeless person. But I care for all humanity, and was pleased to receive what he wanted very much to offer. Each of us is on a karmic journey, and have something to teach from our journey.

No comments: