In this Journal, I will attempt to strip away my protective veneer to view and communicate honestly what the truth is as I perceive it. My intent is to grow, for without an honest evaluation of the truth, how else can one fully absorb life's more difficult lessons and benefit by them. If I do this in secret, then I am still hiding behind a protective veneer, so it is being published online. If you find this Journal, you are welcome to read it and hopefully grow from it as well.



Saturday, August 27, 2016

Attachment

Buddhist monks avoid attachment to people, places or things, even as they have reverence for all of life.

But many of the rest of us fall in love, marry and have children, all of whom we become attached to. We do this despite everyone knowing that each life is brief, and a parting will always take place.

With attachment, that parting is painful, and with few exceptions, parents want their children and their spouses to outlive them, rather than bare life without them.

But whoever dies first, there is a parting, and even if the parent/spouse is the first to go, separation takes place.

To come to peace under these circumstances requires a childlike faith in the teachings of a religious organization or to face reality, not in fear, but with acceptance.

I too understand the dilemma of attachment, yet intensely love my wife and children and their families and love others who hold a special place in my life.

But there will come a time when a parting takes place, a time and parting of which I will have little or no control, for this is life's way.

Therefore, I and others must make the most of the time we have with our loved ones, not to possess them, but to bring them happiness, a happiness in which we share.

And when that parting comes, to let go with grace, knowing this life was always brief and that we used the time together wisely.

Dick

No comments: