In this Journal, I will attempt to strip away my protective veneer to view and communicate honestly what the truth is as I perceive it. My intent is to grow, for without an honest evaluation of the truth, how else can one fully absorb life's more difficult lessons and benefit by them. If I do this in secret, then I am still hiding behind a protective veneer, so it is being published online. If you find this Journal, you are welcome to read it and hopefully grow from it as well.



Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Grandpa Isn't Cool Anymore

Sunday afternoon on October 15, 2017 was sunny and warm and I called my 12-year-old grandson to join me in a top-down convertible ride along the ocean.

His mother Maria said he'd love to go, but when she came back on the line, she said he said he had some homework to do.

This is the first time I can recall Cameron ever turning down an activity with me, and in this case, one we could have done for just an hour if need be.

I thanked Maria, and hung up. But I thought about some of the many things Cameron and I had done together over the years.

I thought of how I would take him to the toy store each Sunday, or how he dug in the sand with the pale and shovel I bought him.

I thought of how we would occasionally go to the show together so he could see a movie he liked or how he always liked to sit at my desk, emulating me.

I recalled how one time when he played soccer, his dad couldn't be there and he wanted me at mid-field to cheer him on, and of his sense of security as he stood close to me at half-time.

Then there were those many times he and his sister Carina piled on to me on the couch to watch TV or how Cameron and I played soccer in my backyard or how I watched him swing on our swing set or slide down our slides.

This is but a sampling of the rush of thoughts that crossed my mind. But now I'm not cool anymore, something I always knew would happen because it's a natural cycle of life, independence.

It happened today, October 15, 2017.

With Love To All ~ Dick


No comments: