In this Journal, I will attempt to strip away my protective veneer to view and communicate honestly what the truth is as I perceive it. My intent is to grow, for without an honest evaluation of the truth, how else can one fully absorb life's more difficult lessons and benefit by them. If I do this in secret, then I am still hiding behind a protective veneer, so it is being published online. If you find this Journal, you are welcome to read it and hopefully grow from it as well.



Tuesday, June 4, 2024

The Most Beautiful Orange

This morning as I was greeting people at a busy Palos Verdes intersection, a 50ish black haired, dark eyed, olive skinned Latino man stopped his truck in a lane across the traffic from me.

He stared at me, and then without speaking a word, he reached out the full length of his arm holding in his hand a beautiful orange.

I shouted a thank you, and told him there was too much traffic for me to come out there.

But this man, a laborer, who was blocking a lane, didn't move his truck, or even change expressions. He just continued to stare at me, as he held out the orange.

For his safety and mine, when there was a brief break in traffic on my side of the street, I rushed out there, took the orange gently from his hand, and thanked him.

As he drove off, and I safely reached the other side of the street, I realized how beautiful this orange really is, and I was thankful for his kindness. 

It was a special act of generosity, the cost of which was negligible but whose value was priceless, for he touched my heart.

With Love To All - Dick


No comments: