In this Journal, I will attempt to strip away my protective veneer to view and communicate honestly what the truth is as I perceive it. My intent is to grow, for without an honest evaluation of the truth, how else can one fully absorb life's more difficult lessons and benefit by them. If I do this in secret, then I am still hiding behind a protective veneer, so it is being published online. If you find this Journal, you are welcome to read it and hopefully grow from it as well.



Monday, August 20, 2018

Great Wisdom

"We cling to our own point of view,
as though everything depended on it.
Yet our opinions have no permanence;
like autumn and winter, they gradually pass away.”  -
 Zhuangzi (370 BC - 287 BC) (Influential Chinese Philosopher)

The wisdom inherent in this 2300-year-old statement is profound, even as few people practice it, for they are lost in their emotions and their sense of self-worth depends upon how they think others do or don’t respect their opinions. - Dick

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."  Lao Tzu (died 533 BC) (Preeminent Chinese Philosopher.)

This inspired quote came to me on 8/11/18 as: "Who would I become if I let go of who I have been?" The answer to this question can lead to personal growth, but it requires considerable courage to do. - Dick

“A leader is best
When people barely know he exists
Of a good leader, who talks little,
When his work is done, his aim fulfilled,
They will say, “We did this ourselves.”
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

To anyone who wants to be a successful leader, this is the secret. Be humble, be specific and give the credit to others, and you will be amazed by what can be accomplished. I know this to be true in my career and it has been true thru the ages. - Dick

“Einstein said: “A human being is part of a whole, called by us the ‘Universe,’ a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.” 
― Matthieu Ricard, The Quantum and the Lotus: A Journey to the Frontiers Where Science and Buddhism Meet (Matthieu is a Buddhist Monk, Photographer, Author)

The illusion of separateness is common.  To live life from a higher perspective is available to each of us seeking greater wisdom through meditation. - Dick 

No comments: