In this Journal, I will attempt to strip away my protective veneer to view and communicate honestly what the truth is as I perceive it. My intent is to grow, for without an honest evaluation of the truth, how else can one fully absorb life's more difficult lessons and benefit by them. If I do this in secret, then I am still hiding behind a protective veneer, so it is being published online. If you find this Journal, you are welcome to read it and hopefully grow from it as well.



Thursday, July 31, 2014

Why I Greet "Strangers"

An unusual thing I do is to warmly greet "strangers."

By that I mean that with a big smile I walk up to people that I have never met in a store or an office, or in a gym or a myriad of other places, look them pleasantly in the eye, and in a carefree manner ask them how they are, and listen to the answer.

I then ask them about their day, which is a subject people often respond well to. I may also compliment some aspect of them and use that as a conversation starter.

If it is appropriate I may shake their hands or if the moment calls for a hug, with their concurrence I hug them.

In a short time, by the smiles and refreshed energy, it is easy to see the difference this approach has made in their lives.

But that is not all. There is also something else I do:

I smile and wave at people as they drive past our home, which is located on a busy street. They may wave back and occasionally they stop their cars to thank me and wish me well.

Why do I do these things?

Because by these simple acts, for a moment I become a blessing in their lives. In an often cold or indifferent world I make them feel special, make them feel that they are important and really matter.

To me, they do really matter. They could never be "strangers" for I see our oneness with each other and I care about their well-being. I want to uplift their spirits and touch their hearts.

By contrast, most people treat others they have not met as if they do not exist. They walk by them without an acknowledgement, as if they were invisible. It is like watching zombies pass each other.

Do you know why they do this?

They do it because of a lack of self-confidence. They just want to conform, blend in and not do anything out of the ordinary.

It is no wonder the world can feel so cold or indifferent.

The irony is that most people want someone to come in and light up their lives, however briefly and make them feel special, even though they do not do that for others.

If you want to make a wonderful difference in this world, try what I just described to you. You will uplift one spirit after the next, by a simple and loving act with a profound reward all its own.

Dick

No comments: