In this Journal, I will attempt to strip away my protective veneer to view and communicate honestly what the truth is as I perceive it. My intent is to grow, for without an honest evaluation of the truth, how else can one fully absorb life's more difficult lessons and benefit by them. If I do this in secret, then I am still hiding behind a protective veneer, so it is being published online. If you find this Journal, you are welcome to read it and hopefully grow from it as well.



Saturday, November 1, 2014

A Surprise Visit From 22 Month Old Ikaika, 10/31/14

Yesterday, Halloween morning, Anne's and my 22 month old grandson Ikaika arrived with his mother Diane and his nanny Julia.

Ikaika was a little bolt of energy as he zipped in the front door and raced to the backdoor, where he pointed at the children's play yard, wanting to use the slides.

He remembered those slides from last summer, and apparently the fun he had on them.

But it was too cold and Diane kept him inside.

To me, the most fun moment came when Diane wanted to photograph Ikaika with me. Because he is so little, I got down on one knee. When he saw me do this, he got down on one knee as well, making us laugh as he became even smaller.

But not only was it funny, it was also a reminder of how children notice what adults do and try to copy it.

We stood Ikaika up and photographed him with me and then with Anne.

I also noticed that when Diane spoke to Ikaika in English, he responded. And when Julia, who is Chinese, spoke to him in Chinese, he responded equally well.

This is the intent of his parents who would like to make Ikaika bilingual.

In any case, their visit was a wonderful surprise and brought joy to our hearts.

Dick

No comments: