In this Journal, I will attempt to strip away my protective veneer to view and communicate honestly what the truth is as I perceive it. My intent is to grow, for without an honest evaluation of the truth, how else can one fully absorb life's more difficult lessons and benefit by them. If I do this in secret, then I am still hiding behind a protective veneer, so it is being published online. If you find this Journal, you are welcome to read it and hopefully grow from it as well.



Sunday, August 30, 2015

Growing Wiser From A Failure

It was a bright sunny day in Vancouver last Monday (8/24/15) and I joined other people in taking a paddle wheel boat for a ride within the Vancouver Harbor.

Almost everyone chose to ride on the open top deck to enjoy the fresh air and sunshine, including me. 

But there were far too many people for the available seating, as some of us were left to stand.

However, I saw in one seating area, three people had spread themselves out, and knew a forth person could sit, if they sat closely together.

After politely speaking to them, they moved closely together and I got a seat.

Meanwhile, I saw among those standing were several middle aged women. I considered offering them my seat, but at age 70 and with a tender low back, I decided not to do so.

There were plenty of younger men seated, none of whom offered their seat, but that's not my criteria. My criteria is to do what I feel is right, although in this case, I didn't do so.

Soon after we left the dock, some people left their seats for the lower deck because that's where the food and beverages were, and perhaps air conditioning and more comfortable seats.

So there was plenty of room after all on the top deck for anyone who wanted a seat there.

None the less, I was ashamed of myself and was determined to grow from this experience.

On Wednesday (8/26/15) I took this boat ride again, and went to the top deck on another sunny day intending to give up my seat if I got one.

I would then go to the deck below to protect my lower back, while someone else got the benefit of my top deck seat.

Again there were many people on the top deck, however this time there was enough seating for everyone.

I was at first disappointed, but soon I set that disappointment aside, recognizing that I was prepared to do the right thing, and thoroughly enjoyed the boat ride.

As a man of compassion, I had grown from the experience of what had happened two days earlier and hopefully will not make such a mistake again.

Dick
If you are ever in Vancouver and would like to ride on this paddle wheel boat, its name is the "Constitution."

No comments: