In this Journal, I will attempt to strip away my protective veneer to view and communicate honestly what the truth is as I perceive it. My intent is to grow, for without an honest evaluation of the truth, how else can one fully absorb life's more difficult lessons and benefit by them. If I do this in secret, then I am still hiding behind a protective veneer, so it is being published online. If you find this Journal, you are welcome to read it and hopefully grow from it as well.



Wednesday, May 12, 2021

A Helping Hand

Yesterday (5/11/21) as I left a medical building, in the patient pick-up section was a man screaming at the top of his lungs. He had two caregivers and was in a wheelchair, refusing to get into a large black sedan.

Picture a man in his late 70's, with thick silver hair and bright blue eyes, and his well-dressed, well-spoken middle-aged Filipina care givers.  

He had panicked and was screaming so loudly, that at times his voice hit a female high shrill pitch. Like other passersby, I took an interest, but I also felt compelled to help. One of his caregivers told me he has dementia and I could see he was in full-blown panic, afraid to get out of his wheel chair. 

I spoke calmly to him with the emphasis on being calm just as I was. He quieted down but when one of his caregivers tried to put him in the car, he began to scream again. Instead of trying to force him into the car, I asked him to show me how to get into the car. 

He responded to that request, and bit by bit he got out of his wheelchair, and in stops and starts, slowly got into the car. It was an ordeal and I felt sorry for him knowing he couldn't help himself. 

As I thought of this man, I realized his hands showed no signs of heavy toil, and that this expensive car and expensive care givers were reflective of a rich man. He was once a man of dignity and likely of major stature, perhaps a doctor or a business tycoon. 

He had a sense of purpose and an important role in society and now he was reduced to this. Dementia doesn't care about any of these things and early onset dementia can begin in middle age and can affect any one of us, or someone close to us.

Afterward, I said a prayer for this man and his family, and his care givers and held them in my heart.

With Love To All - Dick

No comments: