In this Journal, I will attempt to strip away my protective veneer to view and communicate honestly what the truth is as I perceive it. My intent is to grow, for without an honest evaluation of the truth, how else can one fully absorb life's more difficult lessons and benefit by them. If I do this in secret, then I am still hiding behind a protective veneer, so it is being published online. If you find this Journal, you are welcome to read it and hopefully grow from it as well.



Friday, May 14, 2021

A Homeless Buddy

Today, as I parked my car to walk along the Redondo Beach coast, I recognized the man with the large gray truck parked in front of me.

I knew him from the gym in the 1980's and 90's, and I always enjoyed his outgoing personality. It was good to see him, and a chance to catch up on current times.

As we began talking, I saw in his truck bed a large number of recyclable plastic bottles, and as I asked about what he's currently doing, he avoided my question. 

When I asked about the recyclables, he said they're worth just "$3 or 4 dollars" and he picked them up as a favor to the environment. But I knew it would take a lot of work to collect that number of bottles and they're likely worth much more.

Glancing into his truck cab, it was obvious he is living in it, and I gently said so. We then had a more candid conversation.

At age 55, he was married to a much younger woman and together, they had a daughter. He is now 69, the marriage is long ended and seldom does he see his now 14-year-old on daughter, but he is very proud of her and her academics.

He told me he lives on his Social Security check and a small pension. He pays a local gym to use their toilets and showers. 

But when I reached for my wallet, he refused the money. I tried more than once but it became a matter of his dignity, and I finally backed off.

I told him how good it was to see him again, but that because of my back (weight lifting injuries) I can't stand still. I need to walk and invited him to join me, but he declined.

We cordially parted company. 

As I walked, I thought of how tough it must be to be near 70 and be in this position. I wanted to help him and doubled back in case he left his truck to do an errand. I planned to put money under his windshield wiper blade, but he was gone.

I hope to see him again, but under better circumstances. I regret not helping him, although I believe he was lonely and he did seem to enjoy my company. 

And this is an excellent reminder that each person has a story to tell, and I had only scratched the surface of his.

With Love To All - Dick 

No comments: